Saturday, August 12, 2017

Those Boots are Made for Walking - Or, How I Came to Lie on a Hotel Lobby Floor with Miss El Salvador 1983

A True Story by Dean Olson

An unusual series of events occurred after returning from our Thursday work day, which wrapped up at 4 p.m.  AJ pointed out to me that I had left my boots in the lobby, as we typically take them off there to avoid tracking mud all over the La Casa de Mamapan hotel.  It is important to know that the hotel is owned by Miss El Salvador 1983, Claudia Gazzolo de Munguia, and her business card appears below.  We've met Claudia before, and she's always kind and happy to see us appear again, and she speaks English.  All well and good.  I went off to fetch my boots.


I was taken aback when in the middle of the hotel lobby, Claudia was sprawled on the floor on her stomach.  She seemed to be taking photos of my boots sitting among a collection of old suitcases, which are typical of the many antique items they have about the hotel.   I got down on the floor - no problem, as I was still in my work clothes.  However, Claudia wore her typically formal business clothes.  Not at all understanding what she was really doing, I asked her, "Do you do this often?"  She said heartily, "Yes, of course!"  

Hm.

She snapped photo after photo of the boots and suitcases.  Puzzled, I responded, "So what exactly are you doing?"  "I am taking photos to update the hotel Facebook page," she replied matter-of-factly.  "Oh, OK, I will have to take a look."   The proof appears below, and you can use the link to take a look, too. 


 https://www.facebook.com/pg/lacasademamapan/posts/?ref=page_internal
 

Claudia is a substantial businesswoman and serious promoter of tourism in El Salvador, and based on her business card, she appears to own other properties.  With my dirty boots on the hotel Facebook page, I now feel like I have made my own contribution to promoting travel to El Salvador.  I think our Habitat/Thrivent build trips do the same thing.  Every single person on the trip has been pleasantly surprised by the people of this country.

The next day, Flor from Habitat gave me a Mamapan hat that Claudia had left for me, just like the one she gave to Jim Hack last year. Of all the photos I have taken in my 4 build trips, the one below, with Jim in his Mamapan hat in the hotel lobby, is one of my favorites.

Jim Hack in his 2016 Mamapan hat from Claudia.

1 comment: