Friday, August 5, 2016

Comments and Photos by Nathan Hack (Grandson of Jim) - August 5, 2016



Nathan Hack - August 5, 2016

Buenos Tardes! (Good Evening!)

For the Good Shepherdians that more than likely do not recognize me, I am Nathan, Jim’s Grandson.  For years I have been moved by my grandfather’s passion for helping those in need in El Salvador and I have finally been blessed with the opportunity to join him on one of his many adventures (school has gotten in the way in prior years).

Nathan and Jim Hack at the Ahuachapan work site.
I am currently in my last year of studying Elementary Education at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN.  With that being said, I have spent a great amount of time in the last four years working with children of many ages in environments that vary from school settings, baby sitting, summer camps, etc.  However, it took traveling 1800 miles, to places unknown, to realize one of the most important concepts of children that no schooling could teach me.

You see, I have had very interesting time these past two weeks.  The week before the El Salvador trip, I was a counselor at an overnight camp called Camp Kesem.  This camp is unique as it is a free summer camp for children whose parents have been affected by cancer.  The most touching thing about this camp to me is being the provider of an environment where these kids can escape the anxiety of what may be going on at home, and have the time of their lives.  Now, fast forward to this Monday.

Nathan with kids at Camp Kesem. 

We arrive at the work site to a foundation smaller than a garage, with rooms smaller than my freshman dorm room (yikes). We were then introduced to a few very important people, but two of them stood out among the rest, Felipe and Javier (the boys of the family we were building the house for).  Now I really can’t put these two into words, they were sort of a “you had to be there” situation, but they sure did light up the work site with their smiles.  An outsider would have thought these boys were our immediate family - that’s how they acted around us, and they were incredible.  The most amazing thing to me was their ability to have fun regardless of the situation that life has put them in.  Seeing the conditions of the house that we are building, I can only imagine the sort of place that they are currently living in, yet none of these factors hindered their ability to laugh and live life like any kid should (and that is the opposite of what I expected). All week, we told jokes and played games, and the boys’ contagious personalities filled a part of our hearts that we were all missing, our childishness.

 Felipe and Javier with Nathan at the build site.

Nathan and Adriana in Ahuachapan, El Salvador.

I reflect on these two weeks, and I try to imagine myself in the shoes of these kids.  Whether I would be dealing with an extremely sick parent or been given living conditions seemingly too small for my family, I simply cannot imagine myself having such an outstanding personality like the kids that I saw these last two weeks.  What I have learned from them is an irreplaceable skill that will forever change the way I look at my future students.  No matter what cards children are dealt in life: loss, disease, poverty, intellectual disability, etc., there will always be an INVULNERABLE part of them that is reserved for love, laughter, and just being a kid.  As an aspiring teacher, I am so grateful to have come about this, as all children deserve an equal chance.  I now know that no matter the background of the student at the desk, there is always a part of them that has the potential to do great things, and I must harness this potential and guide them to their highest capability.

I came to El Salvador to build someone’s future, but in the end, that someone has built mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment